By Nancy Friedman, Keynote Speaker, Customer Service & Communications Expert, President – Telephone Doctor Customer Service Training
Those of us who negotiate normally want short, quick tips to help us. So here are some Cliff Notes to help you in those daily negotiations. And let’s face it, we are always negotiating. Family, business, you name it. I’ve even negotiated with a waitress. Long story. I’ll hold it for another time. But it was negotiating.
So here are 8 tips to hang on your wall:
1. Don’t discount a price right off the bat.
2. Be strong and confident about your product and price. Your opponent will be seeking price concessions if your delivery is weak.
3. Delay giving concessions until the end of the conversation. See point 8 below.
4. Have a “nice” way to reject an offer. There are always feelings involved.
5. Never underestimate your strength in a negotiation. Your opponent won’t.
6. Negotiations begin at the beginning of the conversation. From hello on forward.
7. Avoid ”goodwill” conceding. (i.e., Don’t give things away because ‘the opponent is so nice.’)
8. When you GIVE something, be sure you GET something back in return. An order? A larger order? A longer contract period?
Yes, there are more notes. Saving them for another day; and love to hear your ‘notes.’
Enjoy and please share.